Policies and Procedures
Event Policies and Procedures
Anime Conji is a family-friendly, responsible convention that takes pride in providing its members with both a weekend full of wonderful entertainment and a safe place to socialize and have a good time with the greater San Diego anime community. To that end, the following code of conduct and convention policies are in place to ensure a safe and secure environment for all of our guests. By purchasing a ticket for the Anime Conji, all guests acknowledge that the attendees will follow all of these policies at all times.
Should you experience any form of harassment or note any violations of policy, please report any incidents to the Anime Conji Operations in the Board Room during the event or send an email to email@example.com.
We recognize that costume-related weapons are sometimes an important part of the costume experience, so Anime Conji has the following weapons policy for costume-related weapons in place:
Peace-bonding is the act of making it clear that your weapon cannot be used (either by a brightly colored tie, or trigger lock) and that your intentions are peaceful. In order to display a costume related weapon on your costume, your weapon must be peace-bonded; to do so, it must be brought to the Anime Conji Convention Operations in the Board Room (see event map) on the 2nd level of the hotel.
- All firearm styled weapons must be disarmed to ensure they cannot fire and zip tied by our Con Ops Security team.
- Bladed weapons must be cased or sheathed at all times. Canes, armor, mechanical arms, and bandoliers are allowed. Please get your other weapons peace-bonded in the Board Room.
- There will be absolutely no play-acting with props in the public areas.
- Explosives or chemicals of any kind including, but not limited to, smoke powder, sparklers, and fireworks, are not permitted at the con.
- Do not presume that the peace-bonding from another or a previous convention will do. Items producing light or sound must be checked with ConOps for decisions about peace-bonding.
These rules apply solely to all ostume weaponry. Anime Conji does not permit any real weapons to be used or brought to the convention at all as per our general policies above; violation of this rule will require immediate reporting to proper authorities.
GENERAL CONVENTION POLICIES
The following activities will not be tolerated during the Anime Conji convention:
• Physical or verbal harassment of other members, guests of the convention, convention workers, the public or hotel staff
• Sexual misconduct, such as indecent exposure, offensive touching, or other sexual harassment
• Engaging in disruptive and unsafe behavior that disturbs other members, guests of the convention, convention workers, the public or hotel staff
• Possession or use of any illegal drug, narcotic or banned substance
• Possession or use of any item defined as a weapon, illegal or not, with the exception of costume weapons (as defined in our Weapons Policy, below)
• Distribution of alcoholic beverages to any person under the age of 21
• Disruptive or inappropriate behavior, or any engagement in activity prohibited by law
• Any act which could result in substantial risk of harm to people or property
Please note that harassment is any behavior that intentionally overwhelms, threatens, or alarms another person. This includes any unwanted physical contact, verbal sexual comments toward a non-consenting adult or toward any minor, following someone without a legitimate reason, or threatening to physically harm someone.
Remember, if someone approaches you and you tell them to leave you alone, their business with you is done. If they do not leave you alone as you have requested, their actions may be grounds for a complaint of harassment. Anime Conji will investigate all harassment claims to the best of our ability and is committed to providing a harassment-free convention experience for everyone regardless of gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, or religion.
Violation of any of these policies will result in consequences up to and including the revocation of an attendee’s membership without refund; a possible permanent ban from all future Anime Conji events; and contact with appropriate legal authorities. Anime Conji reserves the right to deal with each matter individually, in a manner deemed fit by its Board of Directors.
Anime Conji requires all convention attendees to abide by our Courtesy Policy, which is the exhibition of courteous behavior to fellow attendees. We require cooperation on the following rules of conduct during our convention:
• Cellphones and other electronic devices should be silenced or turned off while attendees are in our programming and video rooms
• Attendees must remain quiet during panels and not speak amongst themselves, except when participating in discussion with the panel
• Attendees wearing hats or tall costumes should remove them when sitting in a panel room so the view of other attendees is not blocked
• When panel rooms have closed their doors due to hallway noise, attendees are asked to open and close the doors quietly
• Attendees (including costumed attendees and attendees inside other mechanical objects) immediately outside the doors to a programming room must keep their voices at a reasonable level so as not to disturb the program
• Attendees are asked to respect other attendees by not disrupting or intruding in their private conversations, videotaping/photography sessions, podcasting/recording sessions, or other activities
Additionally, attendees must respect personal boundaries of each of our guests, and are therefore asked to ensure the following:
• Attendees may not monopolize the time of a particular guest, either in an autograph line or in any other setting
• Attendees are asked to practice discretion when approaching a guest in a social setting (i.e. the bar/restaurants), so as to not intrude upon the guest’s existing conversations or personal time (including dining)
REFUNDS: We do NOT issue refunds without prior approval of the Anime Conji. Please see the Registration Deferral section below.
Registration Transfers: We allow a registration to be transferred to another person at any time without restriction. To do so, send an email to the Registrant at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information: your name and email address, the name and email address of the person to whom the registration is being transferred, and the receipt number from the email receipt received upon initial registration. Registration may not be sold to another person except at the original cost it was purchased. Also, we do permit a registration to be upgraded, i.e. child to teen/teen to adult/child to adult, but not downgraded to a lower tier; to do so, please contact us via the Contact Us page on our website.
Registration Deferral: We do not defer memberships from one year to another, except on a case by case basis due to extreme emergency situations, such as medical emergencies or “acts of God”, and only if the request is made ahead of time; we will not do so after the convention! Deferrals must be discussed via email and are never guaranteed.
PHOTOGRAPHY & VIDEOTAPING
Photography and videotaping of other activities including general cosplay, personal photos/video of our guests and presenters, etc, are acceptable provided that subjects being photographed or videotaped give their consent. You may not photograph or videotape anywhere that may disrupt events or the flow of foot traffic. Should any convention guest or staff member request that videotaping of a particular event/item be discontinued, attendees are to comply with this request immediately.
BADGES & IDENTIFICATION
Registrants will pick up their convention badge upon arrival at the convention facility (there are no tickets mailed). Convention badges must be visible at all times on your person. Individuals without badges will not be granted access to convention space or any other function rooms in the hotel in which convention operations are occurring. A member of the convention staff who does not see your badge visible upon your person may ask you to make certain it is visible, or ask you to leave the convention space.
A fee will be charged for replacing a lost badge; replacement badges will be authorized by our Registration desk. Should a lost badge be located later, Registration may refund the cost of the lost badge, provided such recovery has occurred on the same day.
COSTUMING & ATTIRE
Anime Conji reserves the right to deem a costume unacceptable and request the wearer to make modifications as necessary. This convention is a family-friendly event. Please keep this in mind when choosing costumes and allow common sense and good taste to prevail.
All attendees are required by the hotel to wear approved footwear while in the convention space, which includes shoes, sandals, flip-flops or slippers. Bare feet are not allowed.
LOST & FOUND
Please visit the Board Room, on the 2nd floor of the event to turn in or seek any items lost or found. The hotel has their own separate Lost & Found that can be requested at the Front Desk or Hotel Security.
Anime Conji and/or the San Diego Speculative Fiction Society, Inc. (SANSFIS), Inc. are not responsible for any loss, damage, theft, or injury with regard to any attendee at any time. Attendees are responsible for their individual actions and any repercussions that may result. Civil or medical emergencies must be reported to hotel Loss Prevention staff who will contact the proper authorities.
Updated: March 15, 2018